Kale Beet Salad
- 1 medium beet, trimmed
- 6 cups torn stemmed Lacinato or curly kale
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1.5 tablespoons goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pierce beets a few times with a knife; wrap in a large piece of microwave-safe parchment paper. Microwave at HIGH 7 minutes or until tender. Peel skins with a paring knife. Cut beets into bite-size pieces.
2. After washing, tear and de-stem kale leaves and place in a bowl. Massage kale with a little olive oil to soften the leaves. Add raisins, goat cheese, and slivered almonds.
3. Prepare dressing: Combine vinegar, honey, oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk.
Pour over salad and toss well.
I have made a variation on this salad several times since. I’ve subbed pepitas for the almonds (I like a bit of crunch) and I’ve also added feta or crumbled blue cheese for the goat cheese. I’ve omitted the beets when I haven’t had them. The key is to massage the kale well before adding the cheese and nuts.
The formula for this one is as follows:
a green base + a salty cheese + a crunchy nut + a sweet fruit + a vinaigrette = deliciousness!
Let me know if you try it and what combo you came up with!