Quilty Joy Joy * Making the Most of Every Day * Out and Back * r Squared
*Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After * She Thought She Could
* The Mishaps and Mayhem of a Solitary Life
Welcome back to July’s edition of my Summer Reading List! If you read last month’s list, you know that I brought an ambitious pile of books with me on my trip to Italy. Alas, I was too busy eating to read much so I only made it through a few of the books I had brought. Below is my list for July.
- The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. (audio version) Four stars. The author does a fine job of jumping back and forth between current time and the past to reveal deep hurts of the protagonist.
- My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Three stars. I fully expected to enjoy it more but something about it fell flat.
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. (audio version) Three stars. Not my genre but I listened to it on audio and it was fine. I think my son would really enjoy it.
- Ripe for the Picking by Annie Hawes. Five stars. A continuation of Extra Virgin which I thoroughly enjoyed several years ago.
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. (audio version) Five stars. I really liked the way the author slowly revealed character.
And then these are the books I’ve started but haven’t finished.
- Brideshead Revisited. (tried audio but abandoned). Since I’m a visual learner, the writing is too complex for me to follow it on audio. I should read the hard copy but in actuality I’ll probabaly just watch the movie.
- The Little Paris Bookshop. (tried it on audio but abandoned). A few scenes that were a tad too racy for my tastes.
- Picnic in Provence (audio – ran out of time). I need to finish this book but my check out time had expired.
- A Rich Spot of Earth. Left for Italy before I could even look at it. Need to give it a try before it’s due soon.
- The Nest. I’m a bit of a prude and this book has a little too much R rated material for my tastes.
I’m currently reading…
- A String in the Harp (YA novel)
- The Real Thing: Lessons on Love and Life from a Wedding Reporter’s Notebook.
So far so good on both! We’ll see how they go next month! For more inspiration, check out the other blogs to see what they’ve been reading lately! What have you been reading lately?
17 thoughts on “What I’ve Been Reading”
Big Little Lies is my favorite Liane Moriarty book! I’m so glad you liked it too! I tried to get into the Little Paris Bookshop (in book form) and just can’t get into it either.
So it’s not just me? Coming from a French teacher that makes me feel justified in my opinion!
Wow, so many books in one month! Need to check out that Big Little Lies, looks interesting, and I like that author.
It’s the audio books! I drive around town, do laundry, clean, cook…and read! Big Little Lies was good!
I’m so glad I’m not the only one who starts books and doesn’t finish them! HA!! I have to try more audio books! I have Big Little Lies but haven’t read it yet!! Have to!! Love these posts and all the book reccos!
I have too many on my list to waste time on ones that don’t capture me, kwim??Audio books are the BEST! The ultimate in multi tasking!
Ditto what Katie said about starting and not finishing.
I am impressed you can read more than one book at a time! I don’t finish a book if I don’t like it either. I figure my time is worth more than a lousy book. lol
I often will have one audio and one paper going at a time. I do the audio during the day while doing housework etc and the paper book at night in bed.
Like all of our buds above, I am impressed with the number of books you can keep up with at one time. I am pretty much a one book gal. Maybe one adult book and one children’s book at a time. I used to listen to audio books in the car but I haven’t in quite awhile. Where do you get yours? I guess I should visit the library and check some out. I like the title The Little Paris Bookshop – sorry it was a bust. I think I am kind of a book snob because I don’t read books by popular/prolific authors. I should get over myself and try one of Liane Moriarty’s books. There’s probably a good reason why she is popular and prolific! Thank you for linking up, adding a star-review of each book and sharing the ones you didn’t finish. i will do that, too, next time.
I use the Overdrive app and check the audio books out from the library so it’s on my phone and always with me. I sometimes plug in my headphones and listen while doing housework. I don’t usually listen to popular authors but these sounded intriguing and I really enjoyed them!
I read The Language of Flowers a few years ago. It was so interesting to love the story and really not like the main character at all! Growing up, my parents owned a florist, so I could relate to so many things in this book.
I didn’t love the characters but I did enjoy the way the author slowly revealed the story.
I’m always looking for new books to read – thanks for the suggestions!
Hope you find something you like!
Big Little Lies was a fav of mine and just added Ripe for the Picking to my List. I’m currently reading Sleep Tight and have a pile of 4 more waiting for me. Going to have a lot more time on my hands now to read!! Great list!
I’ll have to check those out! My list keeps growing!!
Comments are closed.