Welcome back to July’s edition of my Summer Reading List! If you read last month’s list, you know that I brought an ambitious pile of books with me on my trip to Italy. Alas, I was too busy eating to read much so I only made it through a few of the books I had brought. Below is my list for July.
- The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. (audio version) Four stars. The author does a fine job of jumping back and forth between current time and the past to reveal deep hurts of the protagonist.
- My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Three stars. I fully expected to enjoy it more but something about it fell flat.
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. (audio version) Three stars. Not my genre but I listened to it on audio and it was fine. I think my son would really enjoy it.
- Ripe for the Picking by Annie Hawes. Five stars. A continuation of Extra Virgin which I thoroughly enjoyed several years ago.
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. (audio version) Five stars. I really liked the way the author slowly revealed character.
And then these are the books I’ve started but haven’t finished.
- Brideshead Revisited. (tried audio but abandoned). Since I’m a visual learner, the writing is too complex for me to follow it on audio. I should read the hard copy but in actuality I’ll probabaly just watch the movie.
- The Little Paris Bookshop. (tried it on audio but abandoned). A few scenes that were a tad too racy for my tastes.
- Picnic in Provence (audio – ran out of time). I need to finish this book but my check out time had expired.
- A Rich Spot of Earth. Left for Italy before I could even look at it. Need to give it a try before it’s due soon.
- The Nest. I’m a bit of a prude and this book has a little too much R rated material for my tastes.
I’m currently reading…
- A String in the Harp (YA novel)
- The Real Thing: Lessons on Love and Life from a Wedding Reporter’s Notebook.
So far so good on both! We’ll see how they go next month! For more inspiration, check out the other blogs to see what they’ve been reading lately! What have you been reading lately?