Summer is the season for shorts, tanktops, and swimsuits but also the season of fresh fruits and veggies and lots of sun and heat (especially in the south!). So it’s only natural that we tend to eat lighter in the summertime – both to watch our waistlines and to stay out of the hot kitchen. I’ve already shared my salad and smoothie formulas I use to keep things cool and light.
Today the Blended Blog ladies are sharing our guilty summer pleasures. If you are visiting from Andrea’s blog, come on in!
Summer’s Guilty Pleasures
Since discovering that corn is a grain and not a vegetable, I have practically eliminated it from my diet, but when summer rolls around, I do splurge a little. My favorite three ways to eat corn:
- Grilled – simply throw husked corn on the grill, turning it till all sides are lightly charred.
- Boiled – as easy as it gets! I don’t even like butter on it just sweet corn goodness!
- Salsa – if we ever have leftovers, I like to cut it off the cob and make a black bean corn salsa. I add diced tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Yum!
- Frozen custard – my new favorite! We have a place called Whit’s here (it’s a chain – see if you have it!) but I’ve also had Culver’s. I used to keep ice cream in the freezer but now we just splurge on it every once in a while.
- Key lime pie – it’s so easy to make that I make it for my husband a lot but when we travel to the keys we like to try it at different restaurants. The best on last week’s trip was at Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen in Key Largo.
- Frozen key lime pie – I love frozen key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate! Even when I’m being really good I’ll splurge on this. Can’t get this yumminess where I live!
- Sangria – I’ve mentioned that sangria is my favorite summer beverage! (And shared my homemade recipe here.) I like it red or white and will try it if it’s on the menu at a restaruant or Michael will make it at hoe for me. My cheater version is to chop up a ripe peach and put it in a glass of Lambrusco and add some seltzer water. Full of fruit, it just screams summer to me!
- Muddled margarita – last week in the keys I tried a muddled margarita. It is close to the recipe we make at home but we will definitely be trying the muddling trick!
- Key lime martini – on our first night I tried a key lime martini. Then we found this in the local liquor store! Oh my! You can even taste the graham cracker crust! How do they do that?
After two weeks back-to-back of eating out and having lots of splurges, it’s time to get back on the bandwagon! Those waistbands are feeling tight – haha! What are your summer splurges? After you let me know in the comments, hop over to Lana’s blog to see what her guilty pleasures are! Thanks for visiting!